1. Remove hair and exfoliate- Whatever your hair removal method is, it's always best to be silky smooth and hair-free right before you tan. You want to create the smoothest canvas possible, which is why it's also important to exfoliate.
2. Make sure your skin is completely clean- And we mean REALLY clean. Even just a hint of deodorant or perfume can cause disaster.
3. Moisturise dry areas just before application- Unless you want to end up with ankles, knees and elbows two shades darker than the rest of your skin, dry areas must be moisturized pre-tan.
4. Use a tanning mitt- When asked if a mitt was best, "Girl, yes. A mitt protects the tan from absorbing into the hands but also helps evenly distribute the product."
5. Apply your tan in front of a mirror- If you're tanning solo, stand in front of a mirror to make sure you don't miss any spots. "Work methodically from legs, upwards and take your time".
6. Don't forget your face- Whether you decide to tan your face or not, you can't forget it altogether. If you choose to tan this area, less is more. "Repeat after me, two coats on the body and one on the face".
7. Wear loose clothing while it dries- Wearing restrictive clothes, under-wire bras or anything that rubs onto the skin is a big no-no post-tan.
8. Do not shave or bathe post-tan- Another important reason to shave pre-tan is because if you do it afterwards instead, you're at risk of shaving away your tan as the blades tend to pick up any dead skin cells as well as hair.
9. Moisturise one day after your tan, and from there on- If you wish to maintain your glow and ensure an even fade, moisturising is a must. "A faux tan loves being hydrated, so treat it daily, if not twice daily.
10. Top up with gradual tan- If you really want your tan to last as long as possible, top it up after a few days with a gradual tan.